Most U.S. Adults don't buy that kids have too much homework
I totally agree with this statement and especially back home in SWVA I think high school is ridiculously easy. I don't think there's a culture of academic success anymore.
Coach Wilson told us that back in the days of Norton high school, kids who transferred to Norton from big cities found themselves way behind the average student who for example in 4th grade was doing 6th to 7th grade math... WELL.
I graduated in 2001 and in talking to former Burton alumnus who graduated around 15 years before me I had a comparison as to what our graduating classes accomplished.
Mind you Burton was graduating around 70-80/year around his time, he said around 2-3 kids went to Ivy League or Ivy League quality, 1 became an engineer at Johns Hopkins, a couple to UVA and several to VT. And this wasn't an out of the norm class back then for Burton.
The surprising thing was most of these kids were not from affluent families. He even found that he was more than well prepared for the first year at UVA (especially in chemistry, calculus (math major's calculus), and english) - he's now a doctor.
I swear I hate block scheduling. I sincerely believe block scheduling makes students AND teachers lazy. The Northern Virginia schools system use modified blocks (like you do in college) where you don't have the same classes everyday but you do have it year round and it teaches kids to multi-task well. Most teachers in Wise County/Norton have no idea how to teach for block-long periods (efficiently) and student attention spans don't cut it. Having 7 classes a day year round really made sure you got to know your stuff.
But not only that, academic success seems to be an afterthought these days. My friend who went to Richlands told me a story about how a crowd of parents came into a science teacher's room afterschool to [censored] about her giving too much homework, and that it took away from kids having fun and practicing for sports.
Any thoughts as to what is going wrong?





Bookmarks